Who Ombudsman Services: Communications can help

If you are a domestic or small business customer with a complaint about a communications provider, Ombudsman Services: Communications may be able to help. We consider complaints about communications companies that are signed up to our service.

Domestic and small business customers

What is a domestic customer?

A person who has communication services provided to their home

What is a small business customer?

This is defined as a company which employs 10 people or less.

When Ombudsman Services: Communications can help

There are some rules about when we can help

Before you can use our service you must tell your service provider about your problem and follow its complaints procedure. The company then has up to eight weeks to resolve your problem. If, during this time, you receive a letter from the company which says that it will no longer be handling your complaint, or the company tells you that it has reached its final position and you are still not satisfied, you should let us know. The company may refer to this as a deadlock letter. If eight weeks pass and your complaint has not been resolved to your satisfaction, you should let us know.

There is a deadline for bringing a complaint to us

If your complaint began before 1 October 2015 - we can accept a complaint within six months of a deadlock letter or within nine months of your complaint being raised with your supplier. If your complaint began after 1 October 2015 - we can accept a complaint within 12 months of a deadlock letter. If you have not received a deadlock letter, we may be able to investigate a complaint older than 12 months.

Terms of reference

What we can and cannot do is set out in our terms of reference. We’ll decide if your complaint fits in with these terms and whether we have the power to deal with it.

Getting help and advice

If you would prefer someone else to handle your complaint for you, we can make arrangements with you to do this.

Citizens Advice
If you want information about your rights or advice about how to make an effective complaint you can contact the Citizens Advice consumer service at any time during the complaints process.

Resolver.co.uk is a free online service and app that offers consumer advice and simplifies the process of complaining. resolver.co.uk guides you through the complaints process, helping you to draft letters and emails and record telephone conversations for reference. It records each step for you in a case file and, if your complaint remains unresolved after you've exhausted all levels, it sends an e-case file to you so you can decide whether you want resolver.co.uk to forward that complaint to us rather than having to call us and complete further paperwork.